User Tag List

Thread: Configuration questions

Configuration questions

User Info Menu

Configuration questions

I'm still a bit confused by the Admin settings.

I have this:

proxy-settings-1.jpg

That's pretty small but basically the first 6 settings in General are all set to Yes. I know what Tor is but what are Lan proxies and Web proxies exactly?

For now I have the next two set to No so there should be an alert box shown but no one is actually blocked, correct?

Then under Registration, for now I have:

Would you like to block registration from proxies? = No
    Note1: You can disable all three proxy blockers and only registrations will be blocked.
    Note2: If blank redirect is yes, registration will redirect proxy users to a blank page.
    Note3: Registration blocking uses vB error message handling, you will need to change the phrase.
    If I set this to Yes, how does it interact with the General settings? If for example, they are all set to No you say registrations will be blocked but using what Criteria? Tor only? Or Tor, LAN, and Web?

Then I have

Would you like to use the product to only block registrations? = No
    Again, if I set this to Yes what Criteria are used for blocking registrations and are the Settings under General then ignored?

- - - - - Double Post - - - - -

Also:

The email alerts always say "Membername was detected using a tor!"

But that doesn't seem to be accurate. The last three I have seen like that were a local ISP in Virginia, someone using Mini-Opera on a smart phone in Australia, and just now someone using Amazon as an ISP and going through compute.amazonaws.com. These may well be proxies but they are not Tor proxies, as I understand the meaning of that term.

This is potentially a great idea but I can't figure out what it's actually doing.

I've disabled it for now...
    Last edited by djbaxter; 12-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Configuration questions

User Info Menu

Re: Configuration questions

I'm still a bit confused by the Admin settings.

I have this:

That's pretty small but basically the first 6 settings in General are all set to Yes. I know what Tor is but what are Lan proxies and Web proxies exactly?
    Lan proxies are those proxies that are configured by adding proxy information to the browser the user is using.
    Web proxies are sites like proxy.org which uses web servers ip for users.

For now I have the next two set to No so there should be an alert box shown but no one is actually blocked, correct?
    No one is blocked unless the option is selected.

Then under Registration, for now I have:
    Would you like to block registration from proxies? = No
    Note1: You can disable all three proxy blockers and only registrations will be blocked.
    Note2: If blank redirect is yes, registration will redirect proxy users to a blank page.
    Note3: Registration blocking uses vB error message handling, you will need to change the phrase.

If I set this to Yes, how does it interact with the General settings? If for example, they are all set to No you say registrations will be blocked but using what Criteria? Tor only? Or Tor, LAN, and Web?
    So if you have registration settings disabled then no one will be blocked from registering. If you have it set to enable, then the General Settings come into play. So if you only have Tor blocking enabled then only those Tor users will be blocked from registering. If you have redirect to blank page enabled, then those registering using Tor will be redirected to a blank page.

Then I have
    Would you like to use the product to only block registrations? = No

Again, if I set this to Yes what Criteria are used for blocking registrations and are the Settings under General then ignored?
    The general settings are used as well. So if only Tor blocking is on, and registration only. Then those users of Tor will be blocked from registering, and will not receive a warning message.

Also:

The email alerts always say "Membername was detected using a tor!"
    I will check into this bug.

But that doesn't seem to be accurate. The last three I have seen like that were a local ISP in Virginia, someone using Mini-Opera on a smart phone in Australia, and just now someone using Amazon as an ISP and going through compute.amazonaws.com. These may well be proxies but they are not Tor proxies, as I understand the meaning of that term.
    I will research into this as well. The service does pull externally. So if Amazon is using IPs that Tor has listed, and we run the checks through Tor, then it can trigger a false alert. I will contact Tor to research more into this.

This is potentially a great idea but I can't figure out what it's actually doing.

I've disabled it for now...
    My response is in red.