For those wondering how to jailbreak your new iPhone or iPod Touch 1G, 2G, or 3G running 3.1.2, this is the guide for you. In this guide I will teach you how to install a jailbreak for the first time, upgrade your firmware, and even how to backup and restore your apps.

This does NOT work with 3.1.3!

Backing up:
If you just got a new iPhone or iPod Touch and you don't have anything on it you want to keep, then you can skip this step, since iTunes already backs up your apps, music, ect.

Jailbroken users will need to back up, since you will lose all your stuff from Cydia and such. To do this you will need OpenSSH install. You can download it from Cydia. From there use a FTP program (I use FileZilla) to login. You will need your devices IP Address, which you can get by going into the Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Your Wireless Network. Once you obtain that, in FileZilla type the information in as follows:
Host - sftp://YourIpAddress (Example sftp://198.3.1.123)
Username - root
Password - alpine

We will just be backing up the essentials since it could take a long time if we grabbed everything. Anyway download the following folders:
/Applications
/private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM
/private/var/mobile/Documents
/private/var/mobile/Library
/private/var/root/Library

To restore, simply copy everything back to their original locations. You are now ready to move onto the next step. If you are going to restore jailbroken apps from iTunes and you receive an error installing some, simply install AppSync on your device.

Installing 3.1.2:
If you already have 3.1.2 installed skip this step. Choose the corresponding 3.1.2 firmware for your iPhone or iPod Touch here:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Once you have it downloaded go into iTunes with your device connected and find the restore button. Press CTRL + SHIFT and select your 3.1.2 firmware. Let it do it's thing.

Jailbreaking:

1. Download the jailbreak found HERE.
  2. Connect the iPhone or iPod Touch to iTunes
  3. Execute blackra1n.exe
  4. Click "make it ra1n"

After it restarts you will have a new icon called blackra1n. Click it and install Cydia. Rock cost money so don't install it. Afterwards click the red button next to uninstall blackra1n and uninstall it. This just removed the installation files and not the jailbreak itself.

NOTE: The 3G iPod Touch is tethered. This means that if you turn your iPod Off or it dies, you will need to execute blackra1n.exe again in order to boot back up. So simply just press the lock button once instead of holding it and turning the device off.

Free Apps:
This is illegal! I have ONLY written a guide for installing apps for free for educational purposes ONLY! I am not responsible or liable for anything you do on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

1. In Cydia navigate to Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> Add
  2. Add http://cydia.hackulo.us
  3. Click search
  4. Search for Installous
  5. Install it
  6. Run it and find the application you want.