User Tag List

Thread: Birthday Paradox Project

Nuclear Hacker

User Info Menu

Birthday Paradox Project

Paradox's are hard. Someone skim through this and analyze/ give feedback pleeeze. And serious people only
    Birthday Paradox Essay
    The project’s essential question is: “How many people would have to be in a room before you would wager that two of them have the same birthday. I preformed a survey to calculate how many people it takes to find a match of the same birthday, three times. I only got to survey 10 people, but found one match at the seventh person. I thought it would take longer. The class’ mean was 18, the median was 12.5, and the mode is 9. You see the bins more detailed in the histogram included in the package.
    This is how to calculate probability of two people sharing the same birthday, with only two
    people: This is the equation for 2 people with different birthdays. For each person, there is another numerator value – 1. You can simplify the equation by crossing out the 2 365s. . To find the probability of 2 people with the same birthday, you use the “not” rule (1- P (something)).. To scale this up this up to any number, add another value to the numerator from the original value (365) of the different birthday equation, then subtract one because you can’t use that day anymore. Then use the denominator to the blank power, which is the number of people. Then use the not rule on that equation to find the probability of those people having the same birthday. It gets simplified because the 2 365s get crossed out. The value of the equation is. This was for the mean for the class (18). For 32 people, it’s (already simplified):
    At first, I would bet $20 that two people shared a birthday in a room filled with 365+ people. There is a 100% chance there will be someone with that birthday because that 365th person has to have one of the 365th person’s birthday (all the days in a year). Now I would significantly lower my betting space to 50 people. If 32 people give me a 71% chance, then 50 would be around 80-90%, which I think is likely to happen.
    The giant spaces are Microsoft Word Equation Shit, so it doesnt show, so heres the real doc(press OK to erorrs a couple of times when opening) And the file is safe to open. AND IDK Y THAT SMILY IS THERE. ALL I DID WAS COPY AND PASTE.
    Attached Files Attached Files

RTR = Read The Rules http://www.consolediscussions.com/fo...-8th-2008-t55/ (You can put a "F" after the T if you want to anyone who got the joke)
    Rep+ or Thank me If I Helped

Birthday Paradox Project

User Info Menu

Re: Birthday Paradox Project

What if the 365th person was born on leap year and no one else shared the same birthday?It's not 100%.

Nuclear Hacker

User Info Menu

He said fuck leap years. And anything else that messes up the data. Also did you read that or doc. Just curious.

RTR = Read The Rules http://www.consolediscussions.com/fo...-8th-2008-t55/ (You can put a "F" after the T if you want to anyone who got the joke)
    Rep+ or Thank me If I Helped

Birthday Paradox Project

User Info Menu

i didn't read the doc,i had to go to school.