The April 1st virus (aka Conficker C Worm and April 1 Virus) has been a threat since 2008, according to reliable sources. I have not actually experienced any Conficker C attack or threat firsthand. Maybe that’s because I always update my antivirus databases everyday. Yeah, that’s one way to prevent the Conficker C virus or April 1st Virus. Update your antivirus software virus databases daily and turn on the Windows Update ALWAYS. The Conficker C worm will exploit a Windows vulnerability called MS08-067. So far, no report has been made on its impact on computers running Linux especially Ubuntu 8.10 (this author’s personal favorite).
What damage can Conficker C do or how does it behave? Let me quote below Symantec’s partial analysis of Conficker C worm behavior:
On April 1st the Conficker worm will simply start taking more steps to protect itself. After that date, machines infected with the “C” variant of the worm may not be able to get security updates or patches from Microsoft and from many other vendors. The creators of the worm will also start using a communications system that is more difficult for security researchers to interrupt.
The Conficker worm, sometimes called Downadup or Kido has managed to infect a large number of computers. Specifics are hard to come by, but some researchers estimate that millions of computers have been infected with this threat since January. Current users of Symantec’s Norton security products are protected. Users who lack protection are invited to download a trial version of Norton AntiVirus 2009, Norton Internet Security 2009 or Norton 360. All of these products will detect and remove this worm.
How to remove Conficker C virus/worm? First, let’s be clear about one thing. The Conficker C threat can be prevented. Why think about cure before prevention? In the first paragraph of this article I have offefred some ways to prevent Conficker C infection. In addition to that, Norton (Symantec) also advised thatyou should turn off the “autorun” feature in your Flash/USB drives and Memory sticks (both removable storage media frequently infected by viruses).
However, if push comes to shove and you are infected with Conficker C, don’t worry too much. On April 1st, antivirus softwares will most likely have the cure already and all you’ll need to do is run a virus check on your computer on April 1st to make sure this virus gets eliminated from your system. Stay safe from malicious programs like these. Schedule a virus check daily if you’re a heavy computer user.

Source: http://www.kokeytechnology.com/inter...-removal-tool/