User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to NEVER Get Viruses Again

How to NEVER Get Viruses Again

User Info Menu

After talking with B1G_BR0TH3R he talks me into moving to Ubuntu. I already knew they didn't get viruses, but I never wanted to format my computer to make the switch to it. I also knew of a way to get both Windows and Ubuntu on my computer, but thought it would take too long of a process, but did B1G_BR0TH3R prove me wrong. Around an hour and I was fully up. I now am running Windows and Ubuntu, but I haven't been on Windows since except to move my files to Ubuntu.

The main reason Ubuntu does not get viruses, is because all the valuable system files require a password to perform any actions on, however when in Windows system files you can delete, rename, or even change the data inside of them with no problems. Sure it will work a little afterwards, but when you reboot, that's when all hell breaks lose.

Now with hackers out there sure, there is a slim possibility that someone could make a virus for Ubuntu, but as long as you keep a strong password on your admin user you won't really have to worry about that since the passwords in Ubuntu are encrypted up the ass.

Besides most have no point to make viruses for Ubuntu users since most everyone uses Windows XP/Vista/7. Why make a virus that makes you money for a system that has hardly any users compared to another? Best part is Ubuntu is free. If you don't like it you can just use Windows, but when you want to be secure, you can use Ubuntu, since in Windows there are viruses out there that can steal your saved logins, passwords, credit cards, and even viruses that log everything you type.

Don't be a victim of FUD Password Stealers like I was. Anti-Viruses can't pick them up, since they are Fully Un-Detectable. You may think your passwords with random numbers, letters, and symbols are safe, but with Fully UnDetectable Password Stealers they use algorithms to decrypt passwords stored in Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, and even Firefox. Some even steal your Instant Messenger accounts. Be safe about it, because if you don't it's going to suck changing ALL of your passwords, when you realize some of your email accounts are stolen.

Installation:
    1.) As a precaution BACK UP any important documents.
    2.) Defrag your HDD.
    3.) Download Ubuntu you can also get a free CD HERE.
    4.) Burn the downloaded Ubuntu to a CD.
    5.) Insert Ubuntu CD
    6.) Boot from CD. If it doesn't boot go into your BIOS and make sure the CD boots before the Hard Drive
    7.) After the Ubuntu logo is displayed on the screen. Press Enter to continue.
    8.) Follow the on screen instructions to Partition your disk. Have at least 50-100 GB of space to make room for Unbuntu and any things you might install or download.

Note: To run Windows programs just use Wine.

Rules are HERE. They have been updated as of May 30th 2013 at 5:00 A.M.
    If you see a topic that a link is broken, the information is no longer correct, the content has been patched, or a rule is being broken please use the button. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Re: How to NEVER Get Viruses Again

Anti-Virus Works doesnt it?

User Info Menu

Thank johnny!! i install it! :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
    Anti-Virus Works doesnt it?
    I believe there is only one anti-virus program for linux. It's called ClamAV.

However Linux is engineered in a fashion that makes it hard for viruses to run. Also, because more PCs currently run Windows, it is more worthwhile writing viruses for the Windows platform. However, there still may be some reasons you might want a virus scanner on your Linux PC:

• to scan a Windows drive in your PC
    • to scan a Windows-based network attached server or hard drive
    • to scan Windows machines over a network
    • to scan files you are going to send to other people
    • to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
    • some Windows viruses can run with Wine
    • Linux virus infections are theoretically possible

If you see a topic that a link is broken, the information is no longer correct, the content has been patched, or a rule is being broken please use the button. Thanks.

User Info Menu

How To Stop All Spam / Viruses
    Wach The Full thing
    YouTube - How To Stop ALL Spam

User Info Menu

Fedora > Ubuntu

As for installing it, it does not need it's own dedicated partition, you could just install inside windows, and dual boot. =]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMcKinney View Post
    I believe there is only one anti-virus program for linux. It's called ClamAV.

However Linux is engineered in a fashion that makes it hard for viruses to run. Also, because more PCs currently run Windows, it is more worthwhile writing viruses for the Windows platform. However, there still may be some reasons you might want a virus scanner on your Linux PC:

• to scan a Windows drive in your PC
    • to scan a Windows-based network attached server or hard drive
    • to scan Windows machines over a network
    • to scan files you are going to send to other people
    • to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
    • some Windows viruses can run with Wine
    • Linux virus infections are theoretically possible
    I believe there are more (check some third party repos)
    Basically on *nix systems, everything is open source, so it is really easy to take out a "virus"

Also Johnny, you could have just installed a keyscrambler :D

Irony at it's finest

User Info Menu

Actually very nice Johnny. Except i wont be using it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InTh33yesOf View Post
    I believe there are more (check some third party repos)
    Basically on *nix systems, everything is open source, so it is really easy to take out a "virus"

Also Johnny, you could have just installed a keyscrambler :D
    I was attacked by a password stealer not a keylogger. Although I will probably be getting a keyscrambler since a little extra protection is always nice on Windows lol.

See when you save passwords in Firefox and IE, they are saved in a usual directory and encrypted using a poor algorithm. Now if you download one of these virus password stealers, they look in this directory, decrypt the passwords, and email or ftp them to somewhere. It then self destructs and before you know you've been compromised your passwords are usually changed. It's not really hard changing your password back, but if you have multiple forum accounts... It's a bitch. You pretty much just reset the ones that are most important lol.

Most browsers don't allow you to move the saved passwords, but usually if you do, the viruses will do a search on your computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMcKinney View Post
    I was attacked by a password stealer not a keylogger. Although I will probably be getting a keyscrambler since a little extra protection is always nice on Windows lol.

See when you save passwords in Firefox and IE, they are saved in a usual directory and encrypted using a poor algorithm. Now if you download one of these virus password stealers, they look in this directory, decrypt the passwords, and email or ftp them to somewhere. It then self destructs and before you know you've been compromised your passwords are usually changed. It's not really hard changing your password back, but if you have multiple forum accounts... It's a bitch. You pretty much just reset the ones that are most important lol.

Most browsers don't allow you to move the saved passwords, but usually if you do, the viruses will do a search on your computer.
    if that's the case, then you should have gotten a better firewall.
    Since firewalls catch all thing that use the interwebs (ingoing, outgoing, fake local host)

Irony at it's finest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast