It appears that the problem of pricing isn't the only thing that Sony learned from the PS3 and applying to the PlayStation Vita. Sony WorldWide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida says that choosing to concentrate more on PS3 software hurt the PSP, so they won't be making that mistake again when it comes to the handheld's successor.

I wonder how long it took them to figure out that this was killing the PSP, and now that they will be working purely on PS3 and Vita, I'm sure that 10 year lifespan Sony gave the PSP, just went further down the toilet. However I can not wait for the Vita, I feel the hype building, I just hope they don't let me down.

"We are doing about the same number of titles [on Vita as on PS3] so that means a lot," he told video game news site CVG. "One of the things we didn't do to well to support PSP was that right after PSP came out we moved on to working on the PS3 launch titles. So we shifted too much resource out of PSP so after a couple of years the PSP support when quickly down."

Sony eventually tried to rectify the problem with a bunch of high-profile exclusives for the handheld. It was arguably successful, but for the Vita Sony doesn't want to find itself in the same situation. "Going forward we do not want to make the same mistake so we always look at the balance that we are doing in support of both PS3 and NGP," Yoshida assured future Vita owners.

The PlayStation Vita was formally unveiled to the gaming public last week during Sony's E3 2011 press conference. It's expected to start showing up on retail shelves by the end of the year.