User Tag List

Thread: Requesting Some C/C++ Advice/HELP!!

Requesting Some C/C++ Advice/HELP!!

User Info Menu

OK, i need some help BAADDDD!!!! I recently have begun trying to teach myself some C/C++ with my intentions being developing a PRX with a code that I got, that is unreleased. It is a variation of a knife code, that is all I can say (its extremely exlclusive) for FTB2. Now, I know that with making plugins/homebrew, you have to have the pspToolchain installed on your machine.

I followed the steps that I found, for downloading CYGWIN, and using the batch file to install the PSP toolchain. The download site for the 20051202 toolchain is useless (ps2dev) and doesnt work. I was able to find the 20050625 toolchain, and I installed CYGWIN and ran the toolchain.sh script that was included last night while I was sleeping. I imagine this toolchain took anywhere between 6-8 hours to fully run itself.

I thought that would be it, i could now start writing my PRX, or complete some tutorials real quick, get myself acclimated with the environment, and then begin my prx, and decided on the latter. I got a tutorial for writing your basic "Hello World" pbp and coded it all, just as instructed in the tutorial.

When I tried to compile the eboot, i got the following error:
    Code:
    Owner@Owner-PC ~/projects/helloworld
    $ make
    make: psp-config: Command not found
    Makefile:12: /lib/build.mak: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/lib/build.mak'.  Stop.
    This is the body of my stupid little hello world app:

Code:
    //Hello World PSP Application
    /*
      This program was written by mario on 8/11/2010
      and is a simple hello world application
    */
    #include <pspkernel.h>
    #include <pspdebug.h>

PSP_MODULE_INFO("Hello World by Mario!",0,1,1);
    #define printf pspDebugScreenPrintf
    /* Exit callback */
    int exit_callback(int arg1, int arg2, void *common) {
              sceKernelExitGame();
              return 0;
    }
    /* Callback thread */
    int CallbackThread(SceSize args, void *argp) {
              int cbid;
              cbid = sceKernelCreateCallback("Exit Callback", exit_callback, NULL);
              sceKernelRegisterExitCallback(cbid);
              sceKernelSleepThreadCB();
              return 0;
    }
    /* Sets up the callback thread and returns its thread id */
    int SetupCallbacks(void) {
              int thid = 0;
              thid = sceKernelCreateThread("update_thread", CallbackThread, 0x11, 0xFA0, 0, 0);
              if(thid >= 0) {
                        sceKernelStartThread(thid, 0, 0);
              }
              return thid;
    } 
      int main(){
          pspDebugScreenInit();
          SetupCallbacks();

printf("Whattup BITCHES!!!!!!!");

sceKernelSleepThread();
                          return 0;
    }
    and the makefile:
    Code:
    TARGET = hello
    OBJS = main.o
    CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall
    CXXFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
    ASFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
    EXTRA_TARGETS = EBOOT.PBP
    PSP_EBOOT_TITLE = Whattup Peeple
    PSPSDK=$(shell psp-config --pspsdk-path)
    include $(PSPSDK)/lib/build.mak
    If anyone could help me figure out what the hell i am doing wrong, it would be GREATLY appreciated, because I have much of the PRX coded already, and would like to be able to compile it. With this error on a simple hello world eboot i doubt that is going to happen. I know that some of the best psp programmers come to this site, and I hope you guys are willing to help a lowly noob like myself. I am very good with VB although, C is MUCH different. VB is an event driven, GUI rich environment, where C is pretty much a multi purpose compile language, and there are not many similarities. PLEASE, any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Life is never fair

User Info Menu

Re: Requesting Some C/C++ Advice/HELP!!

All I can really say is go to psp-programming.com and follow what they have. Maybe you didn't install something right or its missing something. Everything that that site has worked for me. I followed all the tutorials for what they have on the basics.

User Info Menu

yea, that was my jump off point too, however... the link for the Toolchain is broken, and outdated, from what i see, and i had to search out a toolchain on my own. I actually managed to find one about 7 months NEWER than the one on psp-programming, so i am installing that now... so in like 5 hours I'll know if it worked or not (lol)... this whole process is quite discouraging.. i already wrote most of the source for the prx i want to build, and have no idea if i did it right, its frustrating not being able to test it after working on it for like a week.

----Added 11/8/2010 at 4:33 PM----
    also, the toolchain that i had already installed was 6 months OLDER than the one at pspprogramming, so that may be the problem in the first place

User Info Menu

Ok, so what your are doing is trying to make a simple hello world program so you can understand how to compile and what not? Well, this ain't gonna help too much with adding a code to a prx because there are other things involved since you are dealing with
    Code:
    unsigned int
    and what not. Maybe somebody with more experience than me can explain it better to you. BTW is this prx for ftb2 or 3?
    Latest work:

User Info Menu

The prx is going to be for FTB2, for now, i want to just be able to compile something. I wrote almost the entire thing and im pretty sure it will work, because I kinda know what I'm doing already, and I have studied the structure and syntax of not only Bakon, but also Selective Knife, PSPBricker, NitePR, Stealth PRX, anything that I could get source for, i studied, and used them to learn and teach myself how people did different things.

Using what I learned from what they did, i managed to write what SHOULD work as a PRX, and I have the makefile made and everything, but I can not compile it without a working Toolchain. It wont compile through CYGWIN or DevC++ so I dont know what else to do unless somebody can help me get a working toolchain, or the files that the toolchain installs. I think the toolchain connects to the internet and either downloads the files, or the source to write the files, and i figure the links are probably old and dead. Thats why i either need the files or a link to a working toolchain. Im ripping my hair out here with this problem. I will REP+ every post someone has ever written if they can help me with this. Im begging. I know there must be someone out the somewhere with the files i need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by U.BeeN.StryKeD View Post
    The prx is going to be for FTB2, for now, i want to just be able to compile something. I wrote almost the entire thing and im pretty sure it will work, because I kinda know what I'm doing already, and I have studied the structure and syntax of not only Bakon, but also Selective Knife, PSPBricker, NitePR, Stealth PRX, anything that I could get source for, i studied, and used them to learn and teach myself how people did different things.

Using what I learned from what they did, i managed to write what SHOULD work as a PRX, and I have the makefile made and everything, but I can not compile it without a working Toolchain. It wont compile through CYGWIN or DevC++ so I dont know what else to do unless somebody can help me get a working toolchain, or the files that the toolchain installs. I think the toolchain connects to the internet and either downloads the files, or the source to write the files, and i figure the links are probably old and dead. Thats why i either need the files or a link to a working toolchain. Im ripping my hair out here with this problem. I will REP+ every post someone has ever written if they can help me with this. Im begging. I know there must be someone out the somewhere with the files i need.
    To be honest dude, something like this shouldn't be stressing you out too much. And idk what you are doing wrong, I havn't opened up bloodshed in about 3 months so I forgot pretty much everything I learned, but I was able to compile with ease idk why yo can't.
    Latest work:

Life is never fair

User Info Menu

If you want (till you get everything working), I can try and compile your stuff for you since I already have everything set up. You can either PM me on here or if you got AIM you can get a hold of me on there.

Also, I'll try and find the stuff that I used and give it to you.

User Info Menu

i just assume whatever i am using is outdated, and there is a much easier way to do it now.. problem is, no one is willing to help anyone, its sad... and i dont mean on here, im talking more about sites that are geared toward homebrew developers. i have posted on like 5 sites and all i get back is shitty "lol" or "noob" its kinda pathetic. i go out of my way to help people, and these asshole just type noob, and nothing else. im the first one to admit, i am a noob, but ill never be 1337 without a little help, nahmean?

User Info Menu

Use Heimdalls Win32 pspsdk package.

Code:
    http://minpspw.sourceforge.net/

Life is never fair

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by U.BeeN.StryKeD View Post
    i just assume whatever i am using is outdated, and there is a much easier way to do it now.. problem is, no one is willing to help anyone, its sad... and i dont mean on here, im talking more about sites that are geared toward homebrew developers. i have posted on like 5 sites and all i get back is shitty "lol" or "noob" its kinda pathetic. i go out of my way to help people, and these asshole just type noob, and nothing else. im the first one to admit, i am a noob, but ill never be 1337 without a little help, nahmean?
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I never really attempted anything because when I went to sites meant for PSP programming, they were either non-active or people were/are rude about everything.