User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] Hack a Mac Quick and Easy

That Guy

User Info Menu

[Tutorial] Hack a Mac Quick and Easy

So yeah. I have noticed some of you have macs. And some schools have macs. Plus Consolediscussions has a saddening lack of Mac info. So I thought this might be appreciated. In no more than a minute or two you can tear the password off of any account on a Mac. And if you put a bit more time and effort in you can actually make a higher admin account than the existing account. Thus, running the computer. I kinda picked all this up and figured it out through years of working with Macs and Darwin. Whats best about this whole thing is, all you need is a keyboard. You don't need access to any accounts, any software, nothing. Just the keyboard. So.. here is what you do (with explanations). I also threw in a bit at the end on how to protect yourself from this. To my knowledge this works on any mac. But I have only done it on OSX Tiger and Leopard. NOTE: When something is in quotations type it EXACTLY as it is with the same spacing.

1: If the mac is on, turn it off.
    2: Press and hold apple+S while the computer is starting up. This boots the Mac into its version of safe mode, called Single User Mode. You now have access to everything anywhere on the computer. Thats great, but don't go playing around unless you are versed in unix command line commands. They are NOT the same as Windows.

3: Type "fsck -y". That is calling the fsck command which checks for and repairs files to enforce file consistency. This command SHOULD be run after every systerm error. Just a side not. But here it is making sure that you are ready to read and writhe to the hard drive. Note: Some Macs don't load to the same directory, so if this gives you an error type in "/sbin/fsck -y".

4: Type "mount -uw /". This mounts the hard drive for reading and writing. If you had to do the second text in the last stop instead type "/sbin/fsck -y".

5: Here is where we split paths. If you are looking to just change the password of an account see the change password section below. If you want to make a higher up admin account see that section.

Change an account password

1: After you have done all the previous steps type "sh /etc/rc" This allows you to run jobs through the bourne shell.

2: Wait a bit for it to work, then the % sign will reappear. Now type "passwd username" just replace username with the exact (Case sensitive) name of the account who's password you wish to change.

3: You will be prompted to enter the new password do so then hit enter/return. If you enter nothing and just hit return it will make the account have no password.

4: Type "reboot" and hit enter. And you are done.

Make a higher up admin account.

Notice: This takes substantially longer. Do not attempt it if you are worried someone might catch you soon.

1: After having completed the previous steps type "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone". This is the variable which tells apple it has finished the setup process. If you remove it, then next time you start up you resetup your mac.

2: Type "reboot" and hit return to restart the computer. Then you will see the Mac intro movie and then go into setup. I am NOT going to go step by step through this because Apple has made it so easy an mentally retarded person could do it. All I will so is when it asks you for information put in real or fake information. They never check so its your call.

3: When you are done the account is setup as the highest admin account, as that is how apple does things. All you programs and other accounts will be there too. Nothing gets deleted an account just gets added. So enjoy.

Protect yourself

What you need to basically do is change you rc.boot file so it has two commands upon start up. "fsck" then "reboot". As that is all you should ever really need to use Single User mode for. That will make it run fsck then reboot immediately. The person can never use single user mode to attack you. I don't really think any of you will want to do this, so a step by step instruction how to is pointless. But if any of you do want to then just say so and I will be happy to oblige.

Well, thats the end. Hope you enjoyed. Whatever. xD

senior newbie XD

User Info Menu

Re: [Tutorial] Hack a Mac Quick and Easy

um...im gonna try this on my computer in a sec

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. \,,/, rock on \,,/,

User Info Menu

uh... I wouldn't exactly call this "hacking" since apple has the commands for the firmware out in the open. Neat trick though!

That Guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B1G_BR0TH3R View Post
    uh... I wouldn't exactly call this "hacking" since apple has the commands for the firmware out in the open. Neat trick though!
    True. As a hack is causing something to operate out set program limits. But most people would call it a "hack". And anymore we attempt to please the increasingly stupid masses.

And yes, it is a cool trick. xD Which actually works (a definite bonus).

Quote Originally Posted by lolhacks
    um...im gonna try this on my computer in a sec
    any luck?

User Info Menu

not truly a hack, since well, no computer is safe when you have direct access to the hardware. even if your system has linux, if i had direct access to your computer i could get your root password and destroy your computer so much as you'd have to reinstall it.

Light up the Darkness - Bob Marley

That Guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Forgiven View Post
    not truly a hack, since well, no computer is safe when you have direct access to the hardware. even if your system has linux, if i had direct access to your computer i could get your root password and destroy your computer so much as you'd have to reinstall it.
    Well yeah.. it isn't a true hack. It is using the system commands to gain access to the computer. But so few people would know that it would be better to call it a hack so they have an idea of what the thread is about -.- Think sir, think.

User Info Menu

I just use opcrack, but if this works at school...it'll be a hell of a lot easier.

That Guy

User Info Menu

It will work. But they will be suspicious when their passwords are gone and/or new accounts are created. If you want I can add a bit on retrieving the password hash and then cracking that. It takes actually a bit less time than making a new account. Fairly easy for someone with your level of experience. Just didn't include it because it would have confused the hell out of nubs. But with that you could just log into the admin account of your schools computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HermXIV View Post
    It will work. But they will be suspicious when their passwords are gone and/or new accounts are created. If you want I can add a bit on retrieving the password hash and then cracking that. It takes actually a bit less time than making a new account. Fairly easy for someone with your level of experience. Just didn't include it because it would have confused the hell out of nubs. But with that you could just log into the admin account of your schools computer.
    I don't care about that, they won't know who did it.
    Thats ok, i just use Opcrack
    I alerady have the admin password at my school

That Guy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by H0LY.J3SUS View Post
    I don't care about that, they won't know who did it.
    Thats ok, i just use Opcrack
    I alerady have the admin password at my school
    Haha, so true so true. They won't know. Yay anonymity.
    Ah alright. That works too. =p Just if you can't get admin access you can't run it, so getting the admin access is key to using it xD
    Haha. I used to have mine. But some of us were causing them so much trouble they now change it every week -.-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast