User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Make a Simple Lag Switch

DEATH METAL

User Info Menu

HOW TO: Make a Simple Lag Switch

This is how to make a simple lag switch (mainly used for disconnecting connection in games a.k.a cheating). A lot of people here probably already have one similar to this but this tutorial is for people who don't have one. I know the pictures are kind of blurry (I do not have a digital camera, these were taken with my iPhone). I know this tutorial is probably poorly typed but it should be accurate.

Lets begin. First I will show you what you will need to create a lag switch:

Screwdriver_________________________________Single-Pole Switch

Wire Stripper
    (Must have 24 Gauge)___________________Ethernet Cord (Or Cat5 Cable)

You will also need a razor and electrical tape.

First, you need to take a sharp razor (please be careful) and carefully cut the insulation on the ethernet cable. Shown here:

Next, you want to isolate and cut the SOLID GREEN wire. Note: This should also work if you cut the SOLID ORANGE wire. This is shown here:

Next, with your wire strippers (use the 24 gauge slot) strip off the insulation of the GREEN wire. Do this for both sides of the GREEN wire that were cut. Shown here:

Next, you need to start to tape up all of the wires with black electrical tape that are not cut (So Do Not tape up the GREEN/ORANGE wire, depending on which one you decided to cut). This is shown here:

This is what it should look like when you are done taping it up:

Next, you are going to make a hook out of the exposed copper wire. Do this on both sides of the GREEN wire. This is shown here:

Next, you are going to place the hooks around the screws of the single-pole switch. Carefully screw the wire in place (as 24-gauge wire is easy to break) and make sure the copper of the wire is touching the brass of the screw (just make sure the insulation is not blocking the connection of the copper). This is shown here:

Finally, you NEED to wrap the switch in electrical tape tightly, so that when the device is plugged in you will not shock yourself. (Ethernet cables do not carry a high amount of voltage, but they do carry it none the less. So if you were to touch the screws or the copper of the wire while it is plugged in, you WILL get a shock). The Final product should look something like this:

Now all you have to do is replace the Ethernet cable that is plugged into your console with this one and lag away!

Make sure you keep the switch in the ON position if you want to play normally, only turn it to OFF when you want to disconnect.

This should work, although I have not tested the one shown here I have used one before that I have made and they do work.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

User Info Menu

Re: HOW TO: Make a Simple Lag Switch

you still get a connection even thou the ethernet isnt plugged into your router,nice :p

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_John. View Post
    you still get a connection even thou the ethernet isnt plugged into your router,nice :p
    Not a connection, your temporarily 'lagging' so no one see's you moving its like when someone froze in socom. Then you jump somewhere when you turn it back on and you jump to where you moved to. Useful for sniping.

Also what are your chances of getting caught doing this? Can people report you to microsoft? I know you can't by filing a complaint I looked there when some fucker was using his modded controller bull shit to rapid fire a barreta.
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-18-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Every man for himself. You trust no one but yourself, if you want something done you do it your self don't rely on others. You watch your own back, you fight your own fights its you against the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Some phag
    -.BUS.-'s mommy says to Cannon, "I love you,
    I love you, I love you"
    The Cannon on the bus says, "I love you, too"
    All through the town.

DEATH METAL

User Info Menu

Technically your not doing anything illegal because it is not a mod of their product (whereas the controller is) but if you do it constantly, people will become angry and probably report you. If you are reported too many times you might get a small ban from XBL or something a little more severe but nothing too bad. All I'm saying is don't use it in every room, every game and you should be alright.

You can also hook this up to a button that works the same way as a simple on/off switch. I was thinking of finding some sort of Staples Easy button to hook it up to. So if you can't win, just press the easy button.

User Info Menu

why the hell would u use a light switch, ethernet is only 5V (I think) just get one of those switches from radioshack/frys/whatever the hell is in your area that's rated for at least 12V, not a light switch that is rated for I think most are at least 180V, but I could be wrong, hell, at least 120V and use that for it

DEATH METAL

User Info Menu

Switches are not rated for any voltage as they do not need a neutral (white wire) hooked up to them in a normal switch to light scenario. Things such as receptacles or light fixtures, which require a neutral to carry a current to them, are rated for certain things (example: 120v 240v or Hospital/range grade receptacles). Plus the single-pole switch was laying around from when I replaced them in my house so I did not have to buy anything extra. You can try it with a different switch, but these are more common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Poptart View Post
    Switches are not rated for any voltage as they do not need a neutral (white wire) hooked up to them in a normal switch to light scenario. Things such as receptacles or light fixtures, which require a neutral to carry a current to them, are rated for certain things (example: 120v 240v or Hospital/range grade receptacles). Plus the single-pole switch was laying around from when I replaced them in my house so I did not have to buy anything extra. You can try it with a different switch, but these are more common.
    Take a normal light switch and put 1000V through it and tell me what happens, switches are rated for a voltage range (0V-xV) all it is is a few pieces of metal, and that metal is in there good, however when there is enough voltage running through it it will break.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B1G_BR0TH3R View Post
    Take a normal light switch and put 1000V through it and tell me what happens, switches are rated for a voltage range (0V-xV) all it is is a few pieces of metal, and that metal is in there good, however when there is enough voltage running through it it will break.
    How many things do you know that pump out 1000v that you would put a single-pole switch on that you would even have at hand?
    Every man for himself. You trust no one but yourself, if you want something done you do it your self don't rely on others. You watch your own back, you fight your own fights its you against the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Some phag
    -.BUS.-'s mommy says to Cannon, "I love you,
    I love you, I love you"
    The Cannon on the bus says, "I love you, too"
    All through the town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    How many things do you know that pump out 1000v that you would put a single-pole switch on that you would even have at hand?
    a big ass capacitor

DEATH METAL

User Info Menu

You will almost never work on anything 1000 volts as an electrician unless you work for a power supply company. So most people will probably have a normal single pole switch over a smaller sized switch. Normally you would not send a voltage through a switch, in this case you are only sending a small amount as it is only connected to an Ethernet cable. All I'm saying is a normal Single-pole switch is more common to find or buy from where ever (home depot, radio shack, etc.) then having to look specifically for a smaller size switch (although it would still work both ways, as long as it is not too small).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast